Cheapest Way To File A Trademark in the USA
Any business that wants to grow in the USA market has to get a trademark registration. A trademark is a type of intellectual property that enables a company to protect the features that set its products and services apart from those of rivals. Hence, in order to protect business assets, trademark registration is essential as it safeguards the business from infringement.
If an entrepreneur wants to establish a business in the USA, the entrepreneur must consider the financial amount required for trademark registration. Since a business or a startup requires a lot of money to run its day-to-day operations, the business will look for the cheapest way to file a trademark in the USA.
In the following article, you will learn about the cheapest way to file a trademark in the USA.
Introduction to USA Trademark Protection
If a company wants to launch and expand a business in the USA,then it is important to register for a trademark to safeguard the identity of the business and its products and services from infringement.
The price of registering a trademark varies depending on a variety of factors, including the application form fee and the number of classes chosen to apply, etc.
Each country’s trademark regulations are unique. The USPTO is the body in charge of overseeing the laws and procedures pertaining to trademarks in the USA.
United States Patent and Trademark Office
In the US, there are a few steps involved while filing an application process for obtaining a trademark, beginning with a trademark search. The purpose of this trademark search is to determine whether the trademark registration clashes with any already existing trademarks with the USPTO.
A trademark lawyer must be retained by the applicant to carry out a registered trademark. The USPTO is also in charge of registering trademarks for goods and services.
The USPTO offers the state and the federal levels for filing a trademark-
- State-level registration– The state-level trademark registration is one of the cheapest way to file a trademark in the USA. It affords limited security because the state is the only jurisdiction where the trademark is protected. The cost to register a mark ranges from $100 to $200.
- Federal-level registration– Due to the fact that it is registered at the federal level, filing for a trademark at the federal level offers greater protection than that provided by a state-level trademark. However, this is an expensive process.
The cheapest way to file a trademark in the USA
The price of filing a trademark varies depending on a variety of elements like the number of trademarks needed and the number of categories of products and services that the applicant wants to register under the trademark.
The cheapest way to file a trademark in the USA is described below-
1. Employ a lawyer or a small legal firm- When compared to large law companies, most solo practitioners and small law firms frequently charge less. They often desire to grow their consumer base and organization and don’t have significant overhead costs. Make sure the single practitioner or small law company you select has knowledge and experience with intellectual property law. Moreover, a lawyer would aid the applicant in registering for a trademark by performing a trademark search first. By employing a lawyer, one can significantly reduce costs and time. Hence, this is one of the cheapest way to file a trademark in the USA.
2. Trademark Electronic Application System- One of the simplest and cheapest ways to file a trademark in the USA is with the Trademark Electronic Application System (TEAS). TEAS is the online registration system for filing a trademark used by the USPTO. Under TEAS there are two ways of registering for a trademark-
- TEAS Plus – $250 for each mark class
The TEAS Plus method is one of the cheapest way to file for a trademark in the USA. But under TEAS Plus, the applicant must comply with the additional conditions to utilize that application. TEAS Plus mandates the applicant to choose from the list of already approved mark classes. Additionally, USPTO necessitates TEAS Plus candidates to pay the per-class application costs beforehand and must only converse via email. One advantage of selecting TEAS Plus is that the likelihood of the registration being rejected significantly decreases since it falls within pre-approved trademark classes.
- TEAS Standard – $350 for each mark class
TEAS Standard, which is more expensive than TEAS Plus, enables candidates to forego selecting classes from a list of already approved mark categories. Also, TEAS Standard is quicker than TEAS Plus as this form has fewer prerequisites than TEAS Plus.
3. State Registration- Filing a trademark registration with the state may provide lower fees and faster application processing. Hence, state registration can prove to be the cheapest way to file a trademark in the USA. Filing for a trademark under state registration would give legal protection to the trademark owners from others in the state.
Read more: Trademark
It is crucial for firms to safeguard the identity of their brands by registering for firms. However, if the process can prove to be expensive there are certain ways that may assist you to register your trademark in an affordable way. One of the cheapest ways to file a trademark in the USA is by utilizing TEAS which is the USPTO’s online filing system. Another affordable means for registering a trademark is either by hiring a lawyer or through state registration.
This article’s quick discussion of the 3 cheapest ways to file a trademark in the USA should help you determine which option best suits your needs and will turn out to be the best way for you to register your mark by helping you save money.
If you want to acquire a trademark in the USA, you can consult Odint Consultancy. We will guide you throughout the process.
In order to prevent infringement on the company’s brand, it is crucial to register a trademark in the USA.
The cheapest way to file a trademark in the USA is-
- Filing a trademark within the state- a state registration gives trademark protection within the state.
- Trademark Electronic Application System- TEAS is the online registration system for filing a trademark used by the USPTO and is one of the simplest and cheapest way to file a trademark in the USA.
- Employing an attorney or a small legal firm- employing a lawyer would aid the applicant in registering for a trademark by performing a trademark search first. Small legal firms are cheaper than big ones. Hence, this is the cheapest way to file a trademark in the USA.
An applicant can use the federal-level registration to file for trademarks at the federal level. It offers more protection and is more expensive than state-level registration.
- The cost of trademark registration in the USA depends on the classes of goods or services and the method used for filing the application.
- Trademark registration at the state level may cost around $100 to $200 and the federal level may cost about $250 and $750.
- Trademark registration through Trademark Electronic Application System may cost $250 for TEAS Plus and will cost about $350 for TEAS Standard.
Yes, you can submit your own trademark application if you’re an American national or work for a corporation domiciled in the USA.