Start an LLC in Singapore in 2024-25: Procedure & Benefits
Table of Contents
Singapore is known for its business-friendly environment and robust economy, making it an attractive destination for entrepreneurs. If you are considering expanding your business or starting a new venture, establishing a Limited Liability Company (LLC) in Singapore could be a wise choice. In this article, we will explore the reasons why starting an LLC in Singapore is beneficial, the procedure to incorporate an LLC, the required documents, the requirements, taxation, and compliance, as well as the numerous advantages of opening an LLC in Singapore.
Why Start a Limited Liability Company in Singapore?
There are lots of compelling reasons to start a limited liability company in Singapore. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Singapore has consistently been ranked as one of the easiest places to do business in the world.
- Singapore offers attractive tax incentives and a low corporate tax rate.
- Singapore has a network of over 80 comprehensive double tax treaties, which can help businesses avoid double taxation and reduce their overall tax burden.
- Singapore has a strong reputation as a global financial hub.
- Singapore boasts a well-developed infrastructure, advanced telecommunications systems, and a highly skilled workforce.
- Establishing an LLC in Singapore can provide businesses with access to a wide range of opportunities, including access to international markets, funding, and strategic partnerships.
How to Incorporate an LLC in Singapore?
The steps to incorporate a limited liability company in Singapore is very easy and straightforward. Some of the steps you have to follow:
- Company Name Approval: The first step is to select a distinct name for your LLC and submit it to the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) for approval. The name should not be identical or similar to any existing Singapore company name.
- Appointment of Directors and Shareholders: At least one Singapore resident director is required for an LLC. The director might be a Singaporean, a permanent resident, or a holder of an Employment Pass or an EntrePass. The LLC must also have at least one shareholder, and there are no restrictions on stockholders’ nationality or residency.
- Registered Address: All formal correspondence must be forwarded to an LLC’s registered address in Singapore. This can be a residential or commercial address, but not a P.O. Box.
- Company Constitution: It is necessary to draft a company constitution, commonly known as the Memorandum and Articles of Association. The laws and regulations that govern the LLC are outlined in this document.
- Filing of Documents: After completing the preceding stages, the relevant paperwork, including the company name approval, director and shareholder information, and the company constitution, must be filed with the ACRA.
- Payment of Fees: The final step is to pay the fees associated with the LLC’s incorporation. Fees vary depending on criteria such as share capital and shareholder count.
Documents Required to Register an LLC in Singapore
You will need to provide the following documents to register a limited liability company in Singapore:
- Company Name Approval Application: This document provides the proposed company name as well as information about the directors and shareholders.
- ACRA’s Consent for Use of Address: If you want to use a residential address as your registered address, you must get permission from the Housing and Development Board (HDB) or the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA).
- Identification Documents: You must supply copies of the directors’ and shareholders’ identification documents, such as passport copies or Singapore identity cards.
- Proof of Residential Address: If the directors or shareholders are not Singapore residents, they must produce documentation of their home country’s residential address, such as utility bills or bank accounts.
- Company Constitution: The LLC’s laws and regulations are outlined in the business constitution. The directors and shareholders must sign it.
- Declaration of Compliance: This document states that the requirements of the Companies Act have been complied with.
Requirements to Incorporate an LLC in Singapore
To incorporate an LLC in Singapore, you must meet the following requirements:
- At least one shareholder: An LLC must have at least one shareholder, who can be an individual or a corporate entity. The shareholder can be of any nationality and residency.
- At least one director: An LLC must have at least one director who is ordinarily resident in Singapore. The director must be at least 18 years old and must not have a history of bankruptcy or criminal convictions.
- Company Secretary: An LLC must appoint a qualified company secretary within six months of incorporation. The company secretary must be a natural person who is a Singapore resident.
- Minimum Paid-up Capital: There is no minimum paid-up capital requirement for an LLC in Singapore. However, it is advisable to have a reasonable amount of capital to demonstrate the financial viability of the company.
- Registered Address: An LLC must have a registered address in Singapore where all official correspondence will be sent. The registered address can be residential or commercial, but a P.O. Box is not allowed.
Taxation and Compliance for LLCs in Singapore
LLCs in Singapore benefit from several tax breaks and operate under a straightforward and transparent tax system. Here are a few crucial items to remember:
- Corporate Tax Rate: Singapore has a corporate tax rate of 17%. However, new startups can enjoy substantial tax exemptions for the first three years of operation.
- Territorial Tax System: Only income derived from Singapore is subject to taxation. Foreign-sourced dividends, branch profits, and service income are exempt from tax in Singapore, provided certain conditions are met.
- Tax Incentives: Singapore offers various tax incentives and schemes to support specific industries and activities. These incentives include the Productivity and Innovation Credit Scheme, the Global Trader Programme, and the Research and Development Tax Incentive.
- Annual Filing Requirements: An LLC must comply with certain annual filing requirements, including the filing of annual financial statements, annual returns, and tax returns. Failure to comply with these requirements can result in penalties or legal consequences.
- Goods and Services Tax (GST): If your LLC’s annual taxable turnover exceeds SGD 1 million, you must register for GST and charge GST on your goods and services. However, you can also voluntarily register for GST if your turnover is below the threshold.
Benefits of Opening an LLC in Singapore
Opening an LLC in Singapore provides various benefits to entrepreneurs. Among the many advantages are:
- Access to International Markets: Businesses can reach international markets thanks to Singapore’s strategic position and well-developed infrastructure. The country’s wide network of free trade agreements and double tax treaties can facilitate bilateral trade and investment.
- Robust Financial System: Singapore has a strong and stable financial system. There are numerous financial institutions, venture capital firms, and investors in the country who can supply enterprises with funding and investment options.
- Ease of Doing Business: Singapore is routinely recognized as one of the world’s easiest countries to do business. Entrepreneurs find it easier to start and run firms in the country because of its efficient regulatory processes, solid legal structure, and business-friendly climate.
- Attractive Tax Incentives: Singapore provides appealing tax benefits, such as significant tax breaks for new firms and a low corporation tax rate of 17%.
- Skilled Workforce: Singapore has a highly skilled and diverse workforce. The country’s education system produces graduates with strong technical skills and a global mindset.
For businesses wishing to expand their firm or launch a new endeavor, forming an LLC in Singapore can be a wise decision. The country’s business-friendly atmosphere, appealing tax breaks, and proximity to foreign markets make it a perfect location for corporate expansion. Entrepreneurs can reap the benefits of creating an LLC in Singapore by following the straightforward method for incorporating an LLC, delivering the appropriate documents, and completing the requirements.
If you are thinking about forming an LLC in Singapore, now is the time to act. Take advantage of Singapore’s business-friendly environment, appealing tax breaks, and strategic location. Contact us today for expert advice and assistance in forming your Singapore LLC.