Overview: Cosmetics Company Registration in India
A cosmetic License in India is mandatory for all kinds of companies that are involved in the export or manufacturing of cosmetics. The license for cosmetics is essential for all international businesses that have set up manufacturing centers in India. It is crucial to get this kind of certification if you’re getting into the business of selling cosmetics.
The registration of cosmetics demands careful planning and a thorough evaluation of the ingredients as well as labels to register in India. Anyone who plans to import and sell cosmetics must go through this procedure.
The cosmetics application must identify the products within the appropriate categories. Apparently, in this article we will be going to see the in-depth process of cosmetics company registration in India, so without any further ado let’s get dive into it.
How to Get Cosmetics Company Registration in India?
The cosmetic market in India is expanding all over the world, from the moment they first appear in a commercial on television to earning revenue from the social media platform of today. Thousands of individuals are advertising and filling their pockets by selling cosmetics as the market can provide the promise of never entering a recession.
All over the globe use cosmetics regardless of whether they are in either the male or female sections. You heard me right, the male section too, and nowadays, the male society has been seen rubbing their hands with cream or lotion for whitening.
The cosmetic industry doesn’t make distinctions between females and males. As we all know the power of authority comes with responsibility, which is why the cosmetics industry is also the center of attention for authorities due to its prominence and the extent of fraud that could eventually be uncovered in this market.
Read More: Business Licenses And Permits
Types of Cosmetics License in India
There are two kinds of cosmetic licenses within India, i.e. manufacturing license as well as import license.
If an organization plans to produce cosmetics, a license to manufacture in the field of cosmetics will be required. The license to manufacture cosmetics can be used for five years starting from the date of the grant. The company may request any of the manufacturing licenses for cosmetics manufacturing and marketing in India:
License to manufacture cosmetics to be sold or distributed
The Rules state that a manufacturer may obtain an authorization to produce cosmetics that are sold or distributed (Form 32) through the filing of Formula 31 (application for the grant of a license to produce cosmetics for distribution or sale) to the licensing authority established by the government of the state.
A company can submit an application for the right to manufacture cosmetics up to 10 items in every category of cosmetics covered in the Schedule MII of the Regulations. The application must be submitted together with a fee for a license in the amount of Rs.2,500 along with an additional inspection charge in the amount of Rs.1,000 for each visit.
License to manufacture cosmetics to be sold or distributed
The rules provide that manufacturers can apply for an authorization to lend for the production of cosmetics for distribution or sale (Form 32-A) when submitting Form 31-A (application for credit to make cosmetics for distribution or sale) in the presence of the authority for licensing that is appointed by the government of the State.
A manufacturer may request a credit to make cosmetics that are sold for up to ten products of each type of cosmetics listed on Schedule MII in the rules.
The application must be submitted together with a fee for a license in the amount of Rs.2,500 as well as an additional inspection charge in the amount of Rs.1,000 to each check.
A license was granted for approval to conduct testing on cosmetics
The rules state that manufacturers are able to obtain approval to carry out tests on cosmetics as well as the raw substances used in their manufacturing on behalf of licensees production for the sale of cosmetics (Form 37).
The manufacturer must file form 36 (application for the grant of approval for the carrying out of tests for cosmetics used in production by licensees in the manufacturing for the selling cosmetics) to the authority responsible for licensing in the state.
The application should be submitted together with an inspection fee of Rs.1,500 for testing cosmetics.
A license for an importer of cosmetics is required when an organization is not the manufacturer of the cosmetics, but imports them and sells them to India. Importers have to fill out Form 42 (application to issue a registration certificate for the importation of products for cosmetics in India through the Central Licensing Authority in order to obtain the permit for the import of the cosmetics).
The rules require that registration certificates for the import of cosmetics in India from other countries will be provided in Form 43. The application must be filed together with a fee that is USD250 or the equivalent of Indian rupees per cosmetic.
A registration document (Form 43) is valid for 3 years from the date it was issued. The following people can submit an application to obtain the certificate of registration required for the importation of cosmetics:
- A company that has an registered office in India
- An authorized dealer of a manufacturer
- A company that is a subsidiary of the manufacturer.
- Any other importer
Regulations Relating to Cosmetic Company Registration In India
Before granting the license for the production of cosmetics or the certification of registration required for the import of cosmetics the licensing authority must conduct a thorough inspection of all the premises.
The inspector submits an exhaustive document to the authority that licenses which will decide if it wants to grant authorization or deny it. Manufacturers or importers are required to comply with the below rules and regulations set out by the rules.
The requirements for a qualified employee within a cosmetic manufacturing plant
The cosmetics manufacturers must make sure that the manufacturing process of cosmetics is carried out with a skilled and knowledgeable technical team, and at minimum, one person on staff should have the following qualifications:
- Pharmacy Diploma approved by the Pharmacy Council of India under the Pharmacy Act, 1948
- In the Pharmacy Act, 1948 passed the intermediate exam including Chemistry being one of the subject areas, or any other equivalent exam recognized by the licensing authority.
Regulations governing the labels of products
The manufacturer must meet the following requirements regarding labeling:
- The name of the product, the manufacturer’s name, and the manufacturing location’s complete address should be noted on both the outer and inner labels. If, however, the container isn’t large in dimensions, then the primary location of manufacture and the pin code should be included instead of the manufacturing facility address.
- The outer label should contain specific information on the ingredients used in the process of making the product.
- The label inside must include directions for the use, any hazards that exist, and any necessary warnings to make sure that the user is safe.
- A separate batch number prefaced by the letter ‘B’ as well as a manufacturing license number that begins that starts with ‘M’ needs to be listed on the packaging.
- The requirements for labeling as laid out by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) must be also adhered to.
Procedure To Cosmetics Company Registration In India
Cosmetic manufacturers or cosmetic importers may request a manufacturing permit or registration certificate for importation by following the procedure:
- Go to the SUGAM website.
- Click on the ‘Login/Sign In button, then click the ‘Sign up Here’ button.
- Choose the registration type as “For Cosmetics Registration” and then click the submit button.
- Fill in the information, upload the required documents (ID evidence of the authorized signatory, undertaking, and address evidence) and then click on the ‘Submit’ button.
- The verification email will reach the email address registered. After clicking the verification link the application will then be submitted for approval to the relevant authority, i.e. CDSCO officials.
- The authority will email approval for enrolment to an email address.
- After acceptance, log in to the portal using the username and password.
- Choose the department and the type of form you want to submit in the section to submit the form.
- Choose the form of application that you wish to submit.
- After applying, click the “Continue” button.
- Review the page before clicking on the Save and Continue page’s preview and click on the ‘Save and Continue button.
- The Checklist page will appear. In this section, click each of the points to upload documents, then click the submit button.
- The page for payments will open. Complete the form and click the ‘Submit’ button.
- It will be displayed. Click the ‘PDF’ button to create the PDF version of the application form. Click on the submit button.
- The next screen will allow you to you can upload the form in PDF format. Click on the submit button.
- An online registration form can be emailed to the appropriate designated officer responsible for issuing the license.
When the form for a license application is submitted by the officer designated, that officer will examine and confirm the application form and other documents. If the application proves to be acceptable the form will be referred to the authority that licenses it.
When the licensing authority has approved the application form, the acceptance letter is posted within the applicant’s SUGAM dashboard.
If the application isn’t considered satisfactory The designated officer will communicate the irregularities in your application via SUGAM. SUGAM portal. If the applicant can resolve the discrepancies, the application is processed to be approved.
Documents Required for Cosmetics Company Registration In India
The documents needed to be submitted for manufacturing licenses are:
- Declaration form
- Keys to the blueprint and site plan
- Evidence of ownership of the premises of manufacture
- Proof of registration/constitution of the firm
- Affidavit of the non-conviction of directors, Directors, proprietors, or partners pursuant to the Act
- Accredited copy of registration certificate issued by Pharmacy Council of India, an experience certificate from a licensed pharmacist or a competent person, and their certificates of qualification
- Form for bio-data
- Affidavit from a licensed pharmacist or other competent person regarding their full-time working for the company, attested by a Notary Public
- Letter of appointment from the pharmacist registered or competent person responsible
- The PDF file that you downloaded of the completed application form (Form 31-A, 31, or Form 36)
The documents needed to obtain an import license are:
- A cover letter from the importer
- Original copy of the power of attorney that demonstrates the relationship between the manufacturer and the importer
- Certificate of sale for free, marketing license, or manufacturing license letter
- The label copy of the product
- Form 42, downloaded as PDF and filled in PDF
- Schedule D III is signed by the manufacturer or authorized agent
- Specification of the product and testing protocols
- NOCs from the board for pollution control
- The layout of the property
- Rental agreement, in the case of rental premises
- List of equipment for laboratories
- List of the machines used in production, if there are any
The penalty for non-compliance with the Drugs and Cosmetic Act, 1940.
The Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940, is a penal act that has explicit that if provisions or rules of the Act with Cosmetics are not followed or violated, a prison sentence of an additional year and a fine up to 1000 rupees or both could be imposed upon the first conviction.
And in the event of a subsequent conviction, the sentence can be increased up to two years, and the fine can be increased up to 2000 rupees.
A cosmetic License in India is mandatory for all kinds of companies that are involved in the export or manufacturing of cosmetics. It is crucial to get this kind of certification if you’re getting into the business of selling cosmetics.
If you still have any queries related to the cosmetics registration process in India, we are ODINT Consultancy, here to help you out in each & every step of yours.
The application has to be submitted on Form 31 along with a fee of Rs. 2500 license fee as well as an Rs. 1,000 inspection cost.
The importer must apply for a cosmetic license, The process is lengthy and takes 30 to 60 days to finish.
It is mandatory for all companies that deal with cosmetics, to get the license mentioned above. Without this license, a company can’t operate as it should.
Yes, cosmetic registration in India is mandatory for the importation of cosmetics in India.
The Central Drug General of India is an executive body that is above the CDSCO. The body is responsible for all duties related to the compliance of drugs and cosmetics in India.
Yes, cosmetics brought into India through imports need to meet the standards of the requirement of labeling.