Overview: Director Identification Number In India
The Director Identification Number (DIN) is a unique, 8-digit number that is assigned by the Central Government of India to anyone who is an existing director of a company or intends to become one. The DIN is a distinct identity of every individual who is a director and maintains all of their information in a database accessible to the government. An individual who has obtained a DIN can become the director of any company with the same number.
Usage of Director Identification Number
The Director Identification Number is used for the process of appointment of an individual as a director. Whenever the director is filing an application or a proposition, the DIN is mentioned below the signature of the director on that application. It helps in easy identification of that individual and also makes the application legal.
Director Identification Number Application Procedure
The process of applying for DIN can be done through the online portal of the Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA). two types of forms are available regarding the DIN.
Form DIR-3 is the form that needs to be filled out for any individual who intends to become a director in an existing company. The Director Identification Number is only assigned when the application form DIR-3 has been approved by the government.
- The first step is to attach all the relevant documents for identity and address proof.
- The second step is to get the documents of proof attested by a professional chartered accountant, cost accountant, or company secretary.
- The next step is to make the payment for the DIN.
After the application has been submitted and the payment is registered, a DIN is generated by the system for the government’s approval. Once the DIN has been generated and approved, the director has to inform all the companies where he acts as the director.
For a person who already has a DIN and needs to make any changes in the mentioned details, form DIR-6 is available to be filled out online. The DIR-6 form will be processed with the said changes once the application has been submitted along with the supporting documents.
Read More: Board Of Directors
Documents To Be Attached With DIN Application Form
The documents that need to be attached with a DIN application form include proof of identity and proof of address of the individual intending to become a director. The documents include the latest photograph of the individual, proof of identity, proof of residence, birth certificate for proof of the individual’s name and his father’s name, a signed declaration by the individual, and the digital signature. The documents require a professional chartered accountant’s attesting. Without the proof and verification of all these documents, the application for DIN will not be processed for approval.
Reasons for surrendering/canceling the DIN
The Director Identification Number of an individual can be canceled by the government under different circumstances. Such circumstances can be any one of the following:
- If the DIN is obtained by any unjust or fraudulent means.
- If the holder of the DIN passes away.
- If a person has been accidentally issued a duplicate DIN by the government.
- If the DIN holder is declared insane or of unsound mind by a court.
- If the holder of the DIN is declared insolvent.
If a person wishes to surrender the obtained DIN, it can be done by filling out form DIR-5 on the online portal of MCA. To surrender the DIN, a written declaration needs to be signed by the individual and submitted stating that he or she has never been appointed as the director of any company and has never used the DIN to sign or file any documents with authority. If a person has already been a director, he or she cannot surrender their DIN. If the person does not wish to remain a director any longer, he or she can do so and their DIN will simply exist.
Forms Related to DIN Surrendering/Canceling
There are four forms related to the application and surrender of the Director Identification Number:
- DIR-3 – Form DIR-3 needs to be filled for the appointment of a DIN by an individual who intends to become the director of an existing corporation.
- DIR3c – For DIR-3c needs to be filled out to intimidate the registrar about the DIN by the company.
- DIR-5 – Form DIR-5 is required to be filled out if a person intends to surrender his or her DIN. The DIN cannot be surrendered if the person has at least once been appointed as the director of a company.
- DIR-6 – Form DIR-6 needs to be filled out if the director intends to make any changes in his or her details mentioned in the database.
Director Identification Number is a unique identity of every individual who is appointed as a director in at least one company. It is mandatory to obtain a DIN if an individual intends to become the director of an existing company. The application for a DIN can be processed online on the official MCA portal by filling out form DIR-3. If all the information and documents are accurate, the DIN is approved by the government. However, there are circumstances under which the DIN of an individual can be canceled such as insolvency of the individual or fraud means of obtaining the DIN. A person can also surrender the DIN if he or she has not used it and does not intend to do so by filling out form DIR-5.
Read More: Company Limited By Shares