Do you know why establishing a business in Tanzania is the best option for your company’s expansion?
There are several reasons for setting up a business in Tanzania. Tanzania is one of the biggest nations in Africa that provide entrepreneurs with several business options.
With approximately 63 million people residing in Tanzania, the nation has one of the largest marketplaces in East Africa which is one of the benefits of registering a business in Tanzania.
Additionally, businesses registered in Tanzania’s Special Economic Zones are eligible for a variety of tax benefits, including 10-year corporation tax as well as withholding exceptions which is one of the advantages of registering a company in Tanzania.
This article aims to provide a comprehensive overview of the top reasons for setting up a business in Tanzania that makes the nation a preferred choice for business establishment or expansion.
Main reasons for setting up a business in Tanzania
Here are the top advantages of registering a company in Tanzania:
1. Advantageous Location
- Tanzania is ideally situated in East Africa, providing connectivity with the Indian Ocean and acting as a hub for travel to neighboring nations.
- Hence, one of the reasons for setting up a business in Tanzania is the nation’s advantageous location which helps entrepreneurs expand their business and easily access the nearby regions.
- Another one of the benefits of registering a business in Tanzania is that it is a member of the East African Community (EAC) as well as the Southern African Development Community (SADC).
- With an aggregate population of more than 174 million, the EAC market offers firms an enormous opportunity to reach millions of consumers which is another one of the advantages of registering a company in Tanzania.
2. Investment Incentives
- Another one of the reason for setting up a business in Tanzania is the numerous investment incentives available in the nation.
- Tanzania has improved its economic environment significantly in the past few years, which has made it simpler for foreign investors to establish and run companies there.
- The government offers a range of investment benefits to foreign as well as overseas investors via the Tanzania Investment Centre.
- Tanzania places no restrictions or conditions on the unrestricted movement of funds or revenues, which promotes investment in the nation and hence is another one of the benefits of registering a business in Tanzania.
- Tanzania has a wide range of bilateral investment treaties with several nations which assist in raising foreign investment in the nation which is another one of the advantages of registering a company in Tanzania.
- By fostering an increasingly secure and reliable economic atmosphere, bilateral investment treaties can also contribute to a rise in trade across nations and thereby make it simpler for overseas investors to invest in Tanzania.
3. Abundant Natural Resources
- One of the reasons for setting up a business in Tanzania is the accessibility to a wealth of natural resources in the nation.
- Gold, a precious resource in Tanzania, is one of the nation’s most valued exports.
- Natural gas, coal, and petroleum are some of the other resources that are accessible in the nation.
- All these resources make Tanzania a desirable place for companies that depend on these resources.
4. Expanding Sectors
- Another one of the reasons for setting up a business in Tanzania is the nation’s expanding sectors.
- Tanzania is a growing nation, and the market offers a wide range of opportunities for investment, including in production, tourism, agriculture, and importing.
- Food processing, textiles, and brewing are a few of the main industries in Tanzania.
- Tanzania’s booming tourist sector is another one of the benefits of registering a business in Tanzania as it offers the country’s economy significant economic potential. Nearly 1/5th of the country’s GDP is generated by the tourism sector.
- Firms in the travel and hospitality fields, along with associated industries like transportation, can benefit greatly from the nation’s burgeoning tourism economy.
5. Politically Stable Economy
- Another one of the reasons for setting up a business in Tanzania is the politically stable economy of the nation.
- Tanzania is a secure and economically prosperous nation without any records of internal revolutions, civil wars, or ethnic disputes.
- A stable and secure economy is essential for firms that are established in Tanzania, as it safeguards the investors and additionally offers a setting that is excellent for companies to thrive in and grow.
6. Tax Advantages
- One of the reasons for setting up a business in Tanzania is the significant tax advantages that are offered to businesses registered in Tanzania.
- Tanzania provides several tax benefits for resident businesses, including a 5% dividend withholding tax reduction for business owners who possess a minimum of a 25% share in the organization that is generating the dividends.
- Tanzania has also negotiated double taxation treaties with a large number of nations, including India, Canada, Italy, Sweden, and many others.
- This treaty serves as another one of the advantages of registering a company in Tanzania since it prevents businesses from paying taxes on the same income repeatedly and lowers withholding taxes on international transfers.
7. Special Economic Zones (SEZ) & Export Processing Zone (EPZ)
The Tanzanian government has chosen to reserve some areas in Tanzania where business owners aren’t obligated to contribute to withholding or company tax for ten years to boost the country’s social and economic situation.
These areas are the Special Economic Zones (SEZ) & Export Processing Zone (EPZ) of the nation which is another one of the reasons for setting up a business in Tanzania. The Tanzanian government seeks to promote industrialization and investment in labor-intensive manufacturing via its EPZ and SEZ programs.
The SEZ initiative encourages industry-specific investments with a focus on agriculture, commerce, tourism, and mineral extraction, whereas the EPZ plan encourages investments in export-oriented manufacturing industries.
The advantages of registering a company in Tanzania include the following:
- 10 years of corporation tax and withholding tax exemptions.
- All utilities are exempted from VAT.
- A waiver of regional government taxes.
The benefits of registering a business in Tanzania Export-oriented EPZs are the following:
- Exemptions from value-added tax on utilities.
- Net profits are unconditionally transferable, etc.
Book end-to-end experts consultation with Odint company formation experts
Tanzania offers a substantial potential for investors to invest in a range of sectors such as the tourism sector. Another one of the benefits of registering a business in Tanzania is that the nation has a wealth of natural resources, which are beneficial for companies that are dependent on these resources.
In addition to that, Tanzania offers business owners tax incentives, a politically stable business atmosphere, and investment incentives which is another one of the reasons for setting up a business in Tanzania.
If you desire to incorporate your firm in Tanzania, get expert help from Odint Consulting. Odint Consulting experts have several years of experience in assisting clients with business setup and immigration. Contact us today.
There are many reasons an investor would decide to establish a business in Tanzania, including the country’s wealth of natural resources, tax incentives, a politically stable business environment, and investment incentives. Tanzania also offers great possibilities for investors to participate in a variety of sectors.
There are several advantages of opening a business in Tanzania’s Special Economic Zone, including a 10-year exemption from corporation tax, value-added taxes, and other taxes levied by regional governments.
- Through the Tanzania Investment Centre, the government provides a variety of investment benefits to foreign and domestic investors.
- Tanzania does not impose any constraints or limitations on the unrestricted transfer of funds or income, which encourages investment in the country.
- Tanzania also has numerous bilateral investment agreements with many different countries, all of which help to increase foreign investment in the country.
In Tanzania, forming a corporation only requires a minimum of two shareholders and two directors, neither of whom need to be citizens of Tanzania. Furthermore, no paid-up capital is necessary for a firm in Tanzania.
- Tanzania offers several tax advantages for enterprises with local employees, including a 5% dividend withholding tax reduction for business owners who hold at least a 25% stake in the company that is issuing the dividends.
- Double taxation agreements, which stop companies from paying taxes on the same income more than once and reduce withholding taxes on foreign transfers, are another tax advantage.
Azhar Ansari is a company formation specialist with 8+ years of expertise in international business. Financial planning, risk management, and other related areas.