Overview: Letter of Consent In Singapore
In today’s society, consent is an important thing. Singapore companies should seek user licenses before storing any data. Consent letters and approval are an integral part of our everyday environment.
A letter of consent is a formal correspondence that one person or entity sends to another party to obtain permission. A consent letter is necessary to get permission to start an action. A Letter of Consent (LOC) is a document that the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) of Singapore issues to qualified LTVP or LTVP+ bearers and entrepreneurs in order to authorize them to work for a Singaporean firm.
This article will provide a brief overview of the letter of consent in Singapore.
Essential Information about Singapore Letter of Consent
- LOC applications must be submitted by the employer or designated service provider. LOC applications cannot be made by the applicant on his or her own.
- LOC is only accessible to qualifying holders of the LTVP or LTVP+ granted by Singapore’s Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) who have an employment offer from a Singapore business.
- To operate in Singapore, owners of LTVP granted by the Ministry of Manpower must qualify for an Employment Pass or S Pass.
- S Pass holder’s dependents are not eligible for a LOC. They should instead apply for a Work Permit or S Pass, as well as an Employment Pass.
- The expiry date of the associated LTVP+, LTVP+ or Dependent Pass, as well as the information provided by the employer in LOC applications, will determine the length of the LOC. The LOC will also be valid as long as the holder remains employed by the company.
- The LOC application does not have to be submitted by a foreign worker.
- A LOC can be renewed if the LTVP, LTVP+, or Dependent Pass are renewed.
- A LOC is available to anyone with a minimum income.
Basic Criterial For Letter Of Consent in Singapore
1. LTVP+ or LTVP+ holder
The following categories are required to be eligible for a LOC:
- An LTVP+ or LTVP+ holder married to a Singaporean Permanent Resident.
- Unmarried child under 21 years of age who is a Permanent Resident or Singaporean and holds an LTVP.
2. Business owners who are Dependent Pass holders
The LOC is required to allow the DP holder and the business owner to both works for the company and be Dependent pass holders. The LOC is also available for those who want to start a business in Singapore.
An applicant must be a member of one of these types of business owners to be eligible:
- Director of a company who holds at least 30% ownership of the company.
- The only proprietor of a company with an ACRA registration.
- A partner of an organization that is registered with the ACRA.
Note that a LOC can only be obtained if the DP, LTVP or LTVP+ is valid for at least three months. For the LTVP+ and LTVP+, the candidate must also have a job offer from a Singaporean employer.
Book end-to-end experts consultation with Odint finance and legal experts
Factors that can affect the outcome of LOC applications
Although there are no requirements for applicants to be approved, LOC applications may not be accepted. Each application is assessed individually and the Ministry of Manpower has the final say.
The following are some of the factors that can affect the success or failure of an application:
- The applicant’s salary, citizenship, qualifications, work experience, and skill levels. A strong university degree, professional background, specialized skills, or high salary may increase the applicant’s chances of success.
- Job profile of the applicant.
- The availability of local candidates and the economic viability of the company. The chances of a successful outcome are higher if the applicant is employed by a well-respected company or in a field that has few local candidates.
Procedure to apply for a Singapore letter of consent (LOC)
The LOC may be requested by the employer or the designated employment agent.
The following steps must be followed:
- The letter of consent (LOC) application is completed by the employer or employee representative and submitted to the appropriate authority.
- The applicant’s employer or employment agency must gather and upload all necessary supporting documentation. The Letter of Consent (LOC) applications do not require payment for application processing.
- Information regarding the progress of the Singapore Letter of Consent (LOC) request can be reviewed at EP online within 4 weeks for Dependant Pass (DP) holders and one week for LTVP and LTVP + holders.
- If the pass has been authorized, the employer may sign into EP Online and obtain the Letter of Consent.
Documents Required For Letter Of Consent in Singapore
The LOC application must be submitted by the employer or its designated corporate service provider via the EP Online portal.
Employers must obtain written consent from candidates before submitting a LOC application. You can send the document in any format, as long as you have the candidate’s written consent to be employed.
Additional documents may be required for certain professions when applying for a Letter of Consent in Singapore. These include lawyers, food establishment employees, regional representatives and healthcare professionals. You can find more information about the documents required for certain professions at, the MOM website.
For documents that are not in English, you will need to send both the original document as well as the English translation. A translation service provider should perform the translation.
Renewing or replacing a letter of consent in Singapore
These are some things to consider when renewing your LOC
- Before you can submit a LOC renewal application, the DP, LTVP, or LTVP+ must have been valid for at most 3 months. To renew your DP, LTVP or LTVP+ pass if it expires within less than three months, you must visit the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority of Singapore.
- The LOC must always be renewed within 6 months of expiration.
- If the DP holder is the owner of the business, he/she must hire at least one Singaporean Permanent Resident or Singaporean who earns the prevailing Local Qualification Salary and receives CPF contributions for at most 3 months.
You should notify the Loss of the Letter of Consent and Request a Replacement.
Cancellation of a Letter Of Consent in Singapore
The DP, LTVP or LTVP+, and therefore the LOC, are all tied to the main workspace. Therefore, both the DP and LTVP and LTVP+ are canceled automatically with the cancellations of the relevant work passes.
Employer or recruitment agent of DP, LTVP or LTVP+ bearers may request the cancellation of a LOC within one week of the LOC holder’s final date of notice. Requests for cancellations can be made up to 14 days ahead. It will take effect immediately unless you have submitted an advance request.
It is important to:
- Get tax clearance from the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore.
- All outstanding employment issues must be resolved.
Pre-Approved Letters of Consent (PLOC)
Pre-Approved Letter of Consent allows eligible ICA-issued LTVP+ or LTVP+ holders to easily switch jobs and secure new employment.
Pre- approved LOC can be granted even if you have not yet secured employment. Pre-approved LOC holders don’t need to reapply for a new one if they switch employers.
The Pre-approved LOC scheme can be used by LTVP or LTVP+ holders if they are spouses, unmarried children, or permanent residents of Singapore. The Pre-approved LOC’s validity will be determined by the applicant’s LTVP/LTVP+ and will cease to be valid after the LTVP/LTVP+ is canceled or expires.
Book end-to-end experts consultation with Odint finance and legal experts
Singapore letter of consent serves as an official record that is granted by the Ministry of Manpower to the DP and LTVP bearers to to enable them to work in Singapore for a company that has an established presence there. However, there are specific eligibility criteria and requirements that must be completed in order to apply for an LOC.
If you wish to apply for a letter of consent in Singapore, talk to our professionals at ODINT Consulting. Our professionals will assist you in obtaining the letter of consent in Singapore and make sure that your applications won’t be rejected.
Both are possible. Although online submission is quicker and easier, candidates can submit their applications manually.
It usually takes around 4 weeks for the result to be received. Sometimes, the outcome may be available sooner than expected.
Only companies that are already established in Singapore can sponsor Letter of Consent applications (LOC).
The applicant’s employer is required to compile and submit the required supporting files online to the EP along with a Letter of Consent (LOC) application.
The employer can log into EP Online and get the Letter of Consent if the pass has been approved.
The employer or recruiting agent of DP, LTVP, or LTVP+ bearers may ask for the termination of the LOC within one week of the LOC holder’s last day of notice. Requests for cancellations may be made up to 14 days in advance. It will take effect immediately if no advance request is made.
Meet Apurva Gaur, an accomplished and dedicated Company Secretary, whose passion for corporate governance and legal compliance has shaped her remarkable journey in the business world. With a wealth of experience and a keen eye for detail, Apurva has emerged as a leading authority in the field of corporate governance, earning accolades for her invaluable contributions to the companies she serves.